What a morning!
My Conversion Insurance Experience
I thought I’d provide my (4 hours of) experience in ringing around insurers for van conversions – ENJOY! for others…
- 2 of 11 spoke to could insure me during conversion
- 26yr seems to be a min age
- They want you to have another car
Van: Ford Transit, 2.4cc
Me: 26 Male, no NCD (Never had my own vehicle before!)
+ Adrian Flux: £720 – 1 year conversion, no need to reregister on the V5. EU cover, breakdown & roadside. Legal fees to £100,000. £150excess.
+ JustKampers: £660 basic package, inc. legal fees £100,000, 60 days EU coverage. £90 extra for vehicle recover, roadside assist, home start.
– BG Insurance: One month or less from conversion & registration on V5.
– Safeguard: Not for conversion
– Brentacre: No NCD = no insurance offer
– NFU Mutal: No
– Lifesure Group: No (90 days to get reregistered is possible)
– Comfort Insurance: Not for conversion
– Shield Total Insurance: No NCD, eliminates 2 of 3 underwriters (who offer 180 days to convert). Other offers 90 days, but didn’t offer.
– 2Gether Insurance: 90 days to convert, but won’t insure as it’s my only vehicle.
– Staveley Head: Not for conversion.
= AIB: Will call me back
= Coast: Offers 90-180 day conversion options, but 3 of the underwriters refuse because it’s my only car. I just meet the minimum age requirements so others refuse to quote. The Manager will call me back after discussing it with underwriters.
= Caravan & Motorhome: 90 days to convert. I just meet age requirements so will they will need to speak to the underwriters.
STILL TO CALL
(I called on a Saturday)
Caravan & Campervan Club
I think Adrian Flux is the way to go for me this year, but who know what the calls on Monday will bring, and I’ll be chasing up some leads from the Self Build Campervans Facebook group.